Today, the National Health Service Corps (NHSC) released the 2018 Application and Program Guidance for the NHSC Scholarship Program.
The NHSC Scholarship Program awards funds to health profession students pursuing careers as primary care providers in exchange for their commitment to serve in high-need, underserved communities. Scholarship support includes tax-free payment of tuition, required fees, other reasonable educational costs, and a taxable monthly living stipend.
After completion of graduation/training, recipients fulfill their service commitment at one of more than 16,000 NHSC-approved sites throughout the nation and its territories. Each scholar serves for a minimum of two years and receives one year of financial support (up to four years) for each year of service at an NHSC site.
To be eligible for a scholarship, all applicants must:
1. Be a U.S. Citizen (either U.S. born or naturalized) or U.S. National
2. Be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a full-time student
3. Be attending or accepted to attend an accredited school
4. Be located in a state, the District of Columbia, or a U.S. territory
5. Be eligible for federal employment
6. Not have an existing service obligation
7. Submit a complete application
Learn more about the National Health Service Corps Scholarship Program and application process.